Osmosis is a web- and mobile-application that makes medical education more efficient. Content from your courses will be uploaded to the Osmosis system by UICOM coordinators. The system scans the text on these documents and provides relevant educational content like videos, USMLE-style practice questions, references to First Aid, etc. for you to use while studying. Here is a brief overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4H80XHRGc. You can use it to help you prepare for class exams, Step 1, and further down the road, other board exams.
Osmosis Prime is available to all UICOM students. To join your Osmosis Workspace, you will need to create an Osmosis account and use the link in your Blackboard site to join the correct group. Please refer to the instructions in your Blackboard course.
After you set up your account, you can just go to https://www.osmosis.org and log in. There is also a mobile app available from the App Store and the Google Play Store.
Osmosis is constantly adding new functionality. Here is a sample:
- Here is an example of an anatomy flashcard: https://www.osmosis.org/home/learn?id=tibialis_anterior_muscle
- Here is some information on ‘spaced repetition’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVf38y07cfk
- And on the ‘testing effect’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wqG7g1kZUo
- Five study techniques for medical students: https://youtu.be/DM9yEcznq0s
- Anki Flashcard integration coming soon
Check out the rest of their videos on the Osmosis Support YouTube Channel.
You can also create questions and flashcards of your own. You’ll learn more about this as the year progresses.