Osmosis is a web- and mobile-application that makes medical education more efficient. Content from your courses will be uploaded to the Osmosis system by UICOM coordinators. The system scans the text on these documents and provides relevant educational content like videos, USMLE-style practice questions, references to First Aid, etc. for you to use while studying. Here is a brief overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4H80XHRGc. You can use it to help you prepare for class exams, Step 1, and further down the road, other board exams.
Click on the links below for each of our 3 campuses to set up your free account. You do NOT have to join all three, you can choose to just focus on your campus. The reason the other campuses Osmosis collections are made available to you, is you might want to see if any content is different, and would help you to study.
Note: Almost all materials will be the same by campus.
After you set up your account, you can just go to https://www.osmosis.org and log in. There is also a mobile app available from the App Store and the Google Play Store.
Osmosis is constantly adding new functionality. Here is a sample:
- Here is an example of an anatomy flashcard: https://www.osmosis.org/home/learn?id=tibialis_anterior_muscle
- Here is some information on ‘spaced repetition’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVf38y07cfk
- And on the ‘testing effect’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wqG7g1kZUo
- Five study techniques for medical students: https://youtu.be/DM9yEcznq0s
- Anki Flashcard integration coming soon
You can also create questions and flashcards of your own. You’ll learn more about this as the year progresses.