- To train qualified family physician to provide highly skilled competent and safe obstetrical care from beginning of pregnancy and beyond
- To provide full spectrum family centered maternity care including high risk obstetrics, instrument deliveries, ultrasounds, and operative obstetrics.
- To acquire the skills necessary to recognize and manage potential obstetrical emergencies in the antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum period
- To become comfortable managing common gynecological disorders and perform procedures including, but not limited to, Colposcopy, LEEP, contraceptive devices, Endometrial biopsies, D&Cs and tubal ligation.
Goals and Objectives
- Develop competency in operative deliveries including vacuums, c-sections, perineal laceration repairs
- Understand and teach family centered maternity care to medical students and residents
- Gain competency in contraceptive procedures including IUDs, Nexplanon/Implanon, tubal ligations
- Manage abnormal pap smears according to the American society of cervical cancer pathology recommendations and gain competency in Colposcopy and LEEP procedures
- Understand the fundamentals of safety in maternity care according to the AAFP ALSO recommendations