Swapna Asuthkar, PhD
University of Illinois College of Medicine PeoriaCancer Biology and Pharmacology
Work 1 Illini Drive Peoria IL 61605 work
Office Phone: 309-680-8620
Work Fax: 309-671-3442workfax
Lab Phone: 309-680-8626
Work Email: [email protected]INTERNET
My academic and research training has provided me with a comprehensive and diverse background in a wide variety of scientific disciplines including cancer biology, epigenetics, molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biophysics, and immunology. These distinct experiences have contributed to my overall desire to become an independent research investigator. Specifically, I found my true passion to be in the area of brain tumor research (Medulloblastoma and Glioblastoma) where I worked on new avenues investigating the potential therapeutic benefits of molecular targeted therapy in combination with radiation and chemotherapy. My research efforts in cancer biology are aimed to understand the mechanisms utilized by cancer to initiate tumor proliferation, invasion, angiogenesis and metastasis. The goals of my current research are 1) to target the immune checkpoints in the tumor microenvironment and 2) to target the epigenetic histone modifiers in medulloblastoma tumor growth and progression.
2008: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India
2001: M.S. in Biochemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
06/2016 – Present: Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, IL.
08/2015 – 05/2016: Instructor, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, IL.
06/2014 – 08/2015: Research Associate II (RA-II), University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, IL.
03/2010 – 06/2014: Post-doctoral Research Associate, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Peoria, IL.
01/2005 – 12/2008: Senior Research Fellow (ILS Fellowship), Department of Animal Sciences, University of Hyderabad, India.
07/2002 – 03/2004: Junior Research Fellow, (CSIR Fellowship), Department of Animal Sciences, University of Hyderabad, India.
Total publications: 34 (Research Articles-26; Review Articles-7; Book Chapter-1)
Publications as a Corresponding author
- Jose R Castellanos, Ian J Purvis, Collin M Labak, Maheedhara R Guda, Andrew J Tsung, Kiran K Velpula, Asuthkar S*. B7-H3 role in the immune landscape of cancer. Am J Clin Exp Immunol. 017;6(4):66-75.
- Asuthkar S*, Kiran Kumar Velpula, Pia A. Elustondo, Lusine Demirkhanyan, and Zakharian Eleonora. TRPM8 channel as a novel molecular target in androgen-regulated prostate cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2015 Jul 10; 6(19):17221-36.
- Asuthkar S*, Velpula, KK., Gondi, CS., Nalla, AK., Gogineni VR., Rao, JS. 2014. MMP-9 mediates Syndecan-1 shedding and angiogenesis via epigenetic silencing of miR-494 in medulloblastoma cells. Oncogene. Apr 10; 33(15):1922-33.
- Supported by startup package from the UICOMP.
- Supported by McElroy Charitable Foundation for Medulloblastoma (2015-2017).
Categories: Cancer Biology and Pharmacology, UICOMP
Updated 3 years ago.