UICOMP utilizes a tiered Peer Education model designed to enhance student academic performance in Phase 1, Phase 2 Core Clerkships, and on USMLE Board Examinations.
Peer Education consist of Peer Support and Lab Tutors. Peer educators are selected by faculty through an application which is based on academic performance and interest in teaching. Each area of support is skilled at helping students identify key concepts and high yield material, as well as helping students improve study skills and test-taking strategies. Medical students are referred back to faculty for additional support, if needed.
Peer Support conducts large group review sessions, small group support, and individual tutoring.
Tier 1: Large Group Review
- Open to all M1 & M2 students
- Subjects: Block Content Review, DoCS Preparation
Tier 2: Longitudinal Step Prep Review
- Repeat exposure to basic medical science
Tier 3: Small Group Support
- Based on student’s past and present academic performance
- Subjects: Block Content, Basic Medical Science, Study Skills and Test-taking Strategies
- Referral by Academic Advisor or Self-Referral
Tier 4: One on One Support
- M1-M2 Referral by Academic Advisor after utilization of tier 1 and 2
- M1-M2 Self-referral after utilization of tier 1 and 2
- M3-M4 Referral by Academic Advisors
- M3-M4 Self-referral
- Subjects: Block Content, NBME review, Step 1 and Step 2 Preparation
Lab Tutors participate in anatomy, histology or pathology labs scheduled within each block to assist and support students as they accomplish lab objectives.» View Lab Tutors
|Block #||Content||Mid-Block Review||End-Block Review|
|1||Body Systems & Homeostasis 1||9/2/20||9/23/20|
|3||Skin, Muscle & Movement||1/20/21||2/3/21|
|4||Circulation & Respiration||3/10/21||4/7/21|
|5||Digestion & Homeostasis 2||5/19/21||6/9/21|
|6||Brain & Behavior||9/23/20||10/21/20|
|7||Regulation & Reproduction||11/18/20||12/8/20|
Block review sessions will be from 7 p.m.–9 p.m.
NOTE: Schedules are subject to change. Email reminders are sent to the entire class when this occurs. Academic calendars are updated to reflect the change in time or location.