Department of Dermatology
Overview and History
Welcome to the Department of Dermatology of the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria. Ours is a small, clinically-oriented Department, focused on medical student education and patient care. We do participate in the educational activities of the various residency programs, especially Family Practice.
The Department was founded by its original Chair, Dr. Edward Peterka, who served from 1972-1979 and had been on the Dermatology faculty at the University of Colorado. He and the other faculty taught periodic sessions with the medical students over many years.
He was followed by Dr. Dorinda Shelley (1979-1983), assisted by her husband, Dr. Walter Shelley, who had been Chair at the University of Pennsylvania, the first such Department, established in the late 1800’s. Subsequently, Dr. Raj Swaminathan became Chair (1983-2003), followed by Regional Deans (Drs. Rager, Lorenz and Rusch). Dr. Campbell was appointed Chair in 2008.
It is the mission of our Department to fulfill the educational needs of our medical students, residents, faculty and practice community. We also hope to facilitate research in skin disease and enhance patient care. Support of the Department through the Giving fund would be most useful and appreciated.