The University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria is one of four campuses that make up the nation's largest public medical school. The Peoria campus is known among students for its small class sizes, rigorous curriculum and hands-on clerkships; to residents and fellows for the strong academic setting, large referral base and exceptional facilities; and by physicians seeking the ideal combination of teaching and practicing medicine in a research-based university setting.
At a Glance, the College of Medicine at Peoria
- Educates about 150 medical students annually
- More than 270 MDs and DOs in 18 residency and fellowship programs
- Employs about 170 full-time faculty and 1,300 part-time/non-salaried faculty
- Active in basic science and clinical research, including outcomes research and economic evaluation
- Partner in the world-class Jump Trading Simulation & Education Center
- QUICK VIDEO: Check us out on YouTube and hear what our students say
The Peoria medical school campus is located in downtown Peoria, adjacent to our major academic affiliates, UnityPoint Health – Methodist and OSF Saint Francis Medical Center. Together, these two hospitals provide:
- Access to more than 900 patient beds
- Service to a patient population of more than 2 million people.
- OSF-SFMC includes a Level I trauma center with the busiest helicopter transport service in the state and is home of Children's Hospital of Illinois, the only full service tertiary hospital for kids in downstate Illinois.
- UnityPoint Health - Methodist serves patients with a wide range of disorders and houses the psychiatry and family medicine residencies.
Playing in Peoria
Peoria is located along the Illinois River exactly 170 miles from both downtown Chicago and St. Louis. Named an All-American City in 2013, Peoria has its own ballet and symphony orchestra, is home to an NCAA Division I basketball team, minor league baseball and hockey teams, a world-class zoo and the Peoria Civic Center, which hosts nationally-recognized concerts and Broadway shows. Peoria has one of the largest park districts in Illinois with numerous golf courses, an indoor skating rink and access to dozens of miles of walking/biking paths. Peoria also enjoys a low cost of living and is home to the Fortune 50 company, Caterpillar, Inc.